i am a noob and have 3 town houses rentals Question: Good tenants for 3 years new dog has tore up some of the carpet. How do we get them to repair it?

5 Replies

I am a novice investor that started in 2012 and have 3 town houses rentals. I have been blessed with great tenants  Question: Good tenant for 3 years new dog has tore up some of the carpet. How do we get them to repair it? Don't want to lose them but...

@Clifford Madden`  A ripped carpet is not worth making a big deal over when you have a tenant like you describe.  When they move out, replace the carpet.  Have they asked for the carpet to be replaced or repaired?

They already know that they need to pay for the repairs. You may have to put an addedum to the rental agreement that they will be responsible repairs created by their dogs.  You may also have a discussion about removing carpet out of the rental.

@Clifford Madden` first welcome to BP, if they are such great tenants, just split the cost with them, if its only a room it wont be that much. A good carpet person may take a piece out of a closet and patch it then replace the closet carpet. If thats all its like 100-150, but even a new room is less than a months rent. They know they owe for it so if you split it they will prob love you for doing that. 

If the new dog is a puppy, expect more damage has or will occur. Torn carpet is not as bad as the dog urinating on it and it getting into the subfloor. You really need to anticipate what can happen with pets and be sure your rental agreement covers all situations.  If you don't have a pet addendum, you need one. After you sort out what you will do, then modify your agreement for the future.  In our agreement we state: 

"DAMAGES. Tenant agrees to pay for repairs of all damages that they or their guests have caused.  Landlord agrees to initiate repairs in a timely manner following discovery of the damage or can choose to defer repair until Tenant has vacated the premises. Repairs done by a professional will be billed at the professional rate.  Repairs done by Landlord will be billed by the job or as labor plus materials." 

So about the damage. If the tenant wants it repaired now, I would have them pay for it. If not, I might defer it until they move-out. If they stay more than the expected life of the carpet, no charge at move-out. It will be replaced by similar or different floor covering after they leave. If the tears are a tripping hazard, I will get it repaired or removed and charge the tenant a fair price.  I use a "check the box" type form letter for charges and fill in the blanks about the type of damage and associated costs. 

Learned long ago the "pay as you go" approach for damages is best. If you let damages add up, at move-out the security deposit is rarely enough. If the tenant doesn't pay in a timely manner, then when they pay rent, we deduct the damage charge and the remaining due becomes unpaid rent. We can do this because of this clause in or rental agreement:

"PAYMENTS.  All payments made by Tenant to Landlord after the tenancy commences, no matter how designated by Tenant, will be applied as follows: first, to any outstanding amounts due for damages/repairs, utilities etc.; second, to any outstanding service charges and fees from prior months; third, to any rent outstanding from prior months; fourth, to any service charges or fees due in the current month; and lastly to the current month’s rent."  

Great advice everybody. Ty to all who took the time to reply.I really appreciate it. This site is a godsend.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here