Late Rent

2 Replies

Have a 5 day grace period in lease.  Tenant sent me an email on 2/28 saying he just wasn't able to get to post office, but would express mail rent w/tracking number.  Did so on Monday 3/2, expected to arrive on 3/4.  Due to east coast snow storms, rent still isn't in hand.  Delivery has been delayed by USPS.    

In terms of late fees, WWYD? He hasn't been late on rent so far, and typically pays 2 months at a time (i.e. sending a check for Mar and Apr this time).

Given these circumstances, I wouldn't assess a late fee. Reasons:

1. He communicated with you he would be late.

2. He made good on his promise and did express mail it to you and provide the tracking number.

3. It's delay is no fault of his. If not for USPS, it would have arrived within the five day grace period.

4. He is not in the habit of paying late, but rather seems like a very good payer overall.

Pick your battles with your tenants. This seems like an unfortunate set of circumstances (act of God) that has led to late rent, not a tenant who is habitually late and that you fear will start making a habit of this. Now, if he pulls this next month again, time for a talk....

Sharon Tzib, Real Estate Agent in TX (#653488)
832-745-8657
Originally posted by @Sharon Tzib :

Given these circumstances, I wouldn't assess a late fee. Reasons:

1. He communicated with you he would be late.

2. He made good on his promise and did express mail it to you and provide the tracking number.

3. It's delay is no fault of his. If not for USPS, it would have arrived within the five day grace period.

4. He is not in the habit of paying late, but rather seems like a very good payer overall.

Pick your battles with your tenants. This seems like an unfortunate set of circumstances (act of God) that has led to late rent, not a tenant who is habitually late and that you fear will start making a habit of this. Now, if he pulls this next month again, time for a talk....

Very detailed analysis Sharon.  Yes, wouldn't charge late fee as well.  The tenant looks too reasonable to irritate him on such one-off, beyond-his-control circumstances.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.