Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Bill Phinney
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sparland, IL
Votes |
How to handle complaint of tenant food odors?

Bill Phinney
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sparland, IL
Posted Aug 3 2008, 10:46

Greetings to all:

I have just received an e-mail from a tennant which I will paste below. We purchased a 4 unit building 3 weeks ago. 2 units unoccupied and 2 units occupied but no leases. Top floor tennant has lived there over 15 years and pays $300. Bottom tennant pays $485. Both of the other units are now renting for $500 and are occupied. The plan is to raise the $300 rent to $485. Logic is we did some improvements in the unoccupied units which allow us to get $500. No shortage of inquiries when we advertise in local paper and post sign in lawn.

How would you handle this type of complaint?

I received and reviewed your lease and appreciate all that you considered. Very hard to make a decision. However, the strong odor coming from the apt. below has forced me to come to the conclusion that it is time to move out. I have the windows in my apt open (gets kind of cold), but that does not seem to do much to control the smell that radiates upwards. I have friends who have told me what my neighbors are probably cooking. Nights/evenings seem to be worse with whatever it is brewing slowly below. I have a history of sinus problems and Asthma which is completely under control. I must be sensitive to smell and the odorsare triggers. The smell is probably not going to ever go away from whatever they are cooking, and the last landlord allowed them to move in probably not knowing or caring anything about their cultural cooking habits. The odor permeates into all of the rooms in my apt making relaxing and sleeping somewhat difficult. It is not fair for me to continue living with the odors from below that permeate into all of the rooms. There is no insulation in the apt between the upstairs and downstairs apt. My lungs are starting to burn and my sinuses are not tolerating the continual odor. You will have difficulty renting out this apt in the future considering what I have discussed. I completely understand your lease and terms. But, the odor is driving me up the wall from below and that will not change.

I agree that the food smells. I have place two timer realesed air fresheners in the hallways and they seemed to help a little. The upstairs tennant asked that I remove the one near his door due to his breathing. I know it may appear as if this guy is complaining too much but he is a long term tennant and plans to remain renting. I also agree that it smells. How would you notify the "cultural" tennant about the odor of their food? I do plan on replacing the charcoal filter in their range hood since I suspect it is no good.

I look forward to your replies.
Regards,
Bill

Loading replies...