No smoking, no pets. Am I a hypocrite?

2 Replies

I have a philosophical question regarding my upcoming rental purchase:  I would like to rent it as pet and smoke free for obvious reasons.  But, my wife smokes and we have two large dogs. To complicate things, the property is right next door to me.  So future tenants will know within days of moving in, if not at their first viewing, that I am saying they can't do things that we do.

Is that hypocritical?  If so, does it matter?

Your property, your rules. If your tenant thinks that is unfair they are free to move to a place where the rules are more to their liking or buy their own place and make their own rules.

Whether it is wise to buy a rental right next to your home....that is another discussion but, of course, you are free to do it if you'd like. Good luck.

Originally posted by @Jeff Rabinowitz :

Your property, your rules. If your tenant thinks that is unfair they are free to move to a place where the rules are more to their liking or buy their own place and make their own rules.

Whether it is wise to buy a rental right next to your home....that is another discussion but, of course, you are free to do it if you'd like. Good luck.

Thanks Jeff.  I lean towards agreeing with you...my wife is more worried about it.  I look forward to other opinions.

In regards to living right next door to our rental; yes it is another discussion.  But let's just say "offense is the best defense". If we don't buy it (we have first dibs) it is going to go up for sale at such a low price that we feel we need to buy it in order to have at least some control over who our future neighbors will be.