General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Lucas Hall
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Arvada, CO
Votes |
Does "Address Service Requested" really work?

Lucas Hall
Pro Member
  • Arvada, CO
Posted Apr 27 2015, 06:35

Hey friends,

Has anyone every used the "ADDRESS SERVICE REQUESTED" feature with the Post Office to track down former tenants?

Does it really work? 

Do you really get a piece of paper returned to you with the recipient's forwarded address? 

If it works, it would be super helpful in finding tenants who have abandoned the lease. 

According to https://store.usps.com/pse/common/includes/tooltips/tool-tip-pse-ancillary.jsp :

"Address Service Requested - In the first year after the recipient moves, the mail is forwarded. You’ll be given their new address and charged an address correction fee. In months 13-18, the mailpiece is returned to you with the recipient’s new address, at no charge. After 18 months, the mail is returned with the reason it couldn’t be delivered, for no charge."

I've spoken with the postal workers at two post offices, and neither knew what this service was - and both said "we don't do that". So confused...

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Matt Holmer
  • Attorney
  • Bettendorf, IA
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Bettendorf, IA
Replied Apr 27 2015, 08:12

I do a lot of post judgment collection work and in my experience the post office only has a forwarding address about 25% of the time.  It has been so ineffective that we typically order a Skip Trace as the same time.  The wait is longer and there is a cost associated with the service (if they find them), but it is typically more successful.

User Stats

Votes
Sue K.
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Apr 27 2015, 08:23

I don't know if it still works, but my dad was an investigator for the county, and he told me if you write "Do Not Forward" on the envelope, the post office will return it to you with the yellow sticker on it with the person's forwarding address.  We used this at a  law firm I was working at (as a legal secretary) and it worked for us.  This was many moons ago, so I don't know if it would still work.

It wouldn't hurt to try it.  But, as already stated, it will only work if they file a forwarding address with the PO.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Al Williamson
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Apr 27 2015, 08:44

Hmmm, I know that forwarding sure works. I completed the paperwork shortly after my move and I've been getting my mail.

I vote "Yes" it works.

User Stats

Votes
Lucas Hall
Pro Member
  • Arvada, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Arvada, CO
Replied Apr 27 2015, 09:40

@Matt Holmer

Thanks for the tip on skip tracing.  Do you perform the investigation yourself or hire a skip tracer?

@Sue K.

I hadn't thought of using "do not forward", in addition to "address service requested". I'll give that a try too - because I don't really need to send them a letter, I just need to figure out what their forwarding address is.  I don't care if they actually get it.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Lew Payne
  • Property Manager
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Boise, ID
Replied Apr 27 2015, 09:41
Originally posted by @Al Williamson:

Hmmm, I know that forwarding sure works. I completed the paperwork shortly after my move and I've been getting my mail.

I vote "Yes" it works.

The question was "does 'Address Service Requested' really work" - not does mail forwarding really work.

User Stats

Votes
Marcia Maynard
  • Investor
  • Vancouver, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Vancouver, WA
Replied Apr 27 2015, 15:35

Address Service Requested works if the tenant notifies the U.S.P.S. of their forwarding address. If a tenant forwards to a P.O. Box, you may get a new mailing address for them and still be unable to find them for the purpose of serving legal documents. It could be that some local post offices are more efficient than others, so experiences may vary.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Clark
  • Springfield, OH
Votes |
  • Springfield, OH
Replied Aug 21 2017, 23:15

Anyone know how this typically takes to receive your mail back with the forwarding address on it?

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Ball
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Groveland, FL
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Groveland, FL
Replied May 1 2019, 17:28

Something has changed in USPS First Class mail delivery. I have been a major First Class mailer for over 6 years. I am accustomed to 4% to 6% nixie rate. Last 3 months, nixie rate has increased to over 30%. I am not doing anything different. Since my mail is nationwide, it is not one post office at blame. This is a nationwide issue. I am thinking about filing a formal complaint.