Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties
Account Closed
  • Professional
  • Lafayette, LA
Votes |
Current Landlord for my family's rental home trying to maximize profit, need guidance

Account Closed
  • Professional
  • Lafayette, LA
Posted Jun 25 2015, 10:16

Hello new to the forums here, first off I'm loving the site and plan to use it to it's full potential.I have alot of questions but I figured I'd start out with something that is relevant to my current situation. I currently manage my Father's rental home because he is unable to. I will eventually inherit this property but that wont be hopefully for a long time. I have a ton of property management experience with Student Housing so finding a tenant and screening them along with getting the property ready wasn't an issue. The issue I have now is calculating my true profits after taxes.  I'm pretty clueless as to what to do after I collect rent lol. My tenants pay $1100.00 a month and the property tax on our property is $1800.00 for the year. The home is payed off so there is no mortgage payments. I have my separate bank account and all of that but I am clueless on what taxes will have to be paid and what money I can actually spend at the end of the month from the income. After deducting the property tax from the monthly rent ($1100.00 - $150.00 = $950.00) what else is there to deduct? I am completely clueless. Should I just save all the income and pay an accountant to do this for me at the end of the year? I also plan on investing in my own property before I graduate College and will be looking for guidance on that as well. Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Loading replies...