Heat Pump Pricing

5 Replies

Hi all,

Looking for suggestions on a 1.5 ton heat pump replacement for 900sf condo.  From my research (google), it seems I should be finding pricing close to the $3k range, but so far two quotes have come in ~$5,600, and another at $6,800.  I looked up the system to be used for one of the $5,600 quotes and the complete system costs ~$1,800 shipped.  Why then would the installation come in at nearly $4k more (for a one day install)???

So I am curious, do any of you buy the unit yourself and then just hire out the install?  It seems like perhaps a lot of that markup must be tied to the unit itself, or is this pricing reasonable?

Perhaps I am missing something.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I am in the Charlotte, NC area in case anyone is local.

Thanks!!

@Justin McDaniel In my market this would be in the $5,000-$5,500 range. I would imagine that in Charlotte it would be cheaper, but maybe not.  

@Justin McDaniel , I recently had a similar experience with some HVAC contractors in the area. However, they were quoting a new heat pump (3 ton, I think) and ductwork replacement on a 1500 sf. house for around $7500-$8000. I checked around a little and wound up using Love Plumbing and Air Conditioning out of Monroe. They were a little less than $6000, and they did pretty good work. I'll include a link to their website. If you call them, ask for Chris Pressley. 

http://www.plumbingacmonroe.com/

Good luck!

Part of the hidden expense of HVAC is the refrigeration it's extremely regulated this entails buying new and paying to dispose of old. The price doesn't seem to far off especially if they have two guys working. Also not sure of where you are geographically but in colder winter states they add electric reheat backup which elevates the price.

Hi @Justin McDaniel ,

My father did HVAC in Florida for many years, so I grew up working by his side.  Heat pumps are by far the preferred system for the southern climate.  When replacing, it is always better to replace both indoor and outdoor units at the same time, as they work together as a system.  There are some factors that can make the installation more expensive.  

Where are the indoor and outdoor units located?  This often adds an inconvenience factor to the installation costs if they are less accessible .  The refrigerant is not likely the culprit for your estimate.  All new systems come pre-charged with refrigerant in the condenser.  Only for a really long run between the air handler and condenser would extra refrigerant need to be added.  Older refrigerants are being phased out, which drives up their cost, but is of no concern for a new system.  

What type of backup heat?  Gas or electric?  You definitely need a backup heat source.  

Did the contractor quote you on any other work, like replacing ducts?  

I definitely do not recommend buying the equipment and trying to get someone else to install it or do it yourself.  This type of work requires some expertise and specialty tools.  And you probably need a permit.