Landlord Entry Debate Pennsylvania

7 Replies

My father in law and I are debating whether a landlord can enter a tenant's unit without notice to show it to prospects. My FIL thinks a landlord can do this but I think a landlord has to give tenant 24 hours notice. What do you think? Thank you in advance!

Ayodeji Kuponiyi MBA, A&K Investment Ventures

Originally posted by @Ayodeji Kuponiyi :

My father in law and I are debating whether a landlord can enter a tenant's unit without notice to show it to prospects. My FIL thinks a landlord can do this but I think a landlord has to give tenant 24 hours notice. What do you think? Thank you in advance!

Hello Ayodeji: If this property is located in PA, there is no statute as to when a landlord and enter a tenant's unit however, it is suggested that you give at least 24 hours notice or more out of courtesy. Most importantly, it depends what was documented/agreed upon in the tenants's lease. 

@Ayodeji Kuponiyi even if PA has no statute on it, you should try to give the tenant 24 hours notice.  I think a key aspect many landlords forget in this game is customer service.  We are a business offering a product to a customer.  Our tenants are our customers. We need to strive to create a great experience for them.  If we all did this I think that a lot of the problems landlords run into would disappear. (Not all, just a lot)

Medium logo lf re cire box white bboxRussell Brazil, Associate Broker w/ Long & Foster | [email protected] | (301) 893‑4635 | http://www.RussellBrazil.com | MD Agent # 648402, DC Agent # SP98375353, VA Agent # 0225219736, MA Agent # 9052346 | Podcast Guest on Show #192

Your welcome. I am not an Agent however, I did complete my 60 hours of PA RE Salesperson education, just no time to sit for the licensing exam. My husband and I do own a rental property in Philadelphia so I keep up with the landlord/tenant laws. 

Completely agree with @Russell Brazil regarding 24 hour notice. This should be the standard not just to properly respect your current tenant's privacy, but to ensure the best showing for the prospective tenant. If I showed a property and had not cleared it with the occupant a whole myriad of problems could occur the would demonstrate a serious lack of professionalism. Firstly, you might not be able to gain access to the property, and if you did, you would likely have an unhappy tenant. Not the ideal environment to show someone else the amenities a property has to offer. Look at the lease, most will have a section regarding showing the unit.

-James

By respecting your current tenants you are demonstrating to any potential tenants how they will be treated.  Back to what @Russell Brazil said, it is all about customer service.  Demonstrate to your potential clients that they will be respected and you are much more likely to get tenants that will give you back the same courtesy.  My vote is to give the 24 hour notice regardless.