Too many vehicles

10 Replies

For a multifamily building with limited parking spaces, how do you allocate parking spaces?

I have a fourplex with six spaces, all 1/1s, so I limit 1 space per unit with two guests.  Thinking if necessary I can allocate two spaces for a couple if necessary.

Well, I have an applicant who works for the city's public works and has two vehicles, one personal and a city truck.  He is apparently allowed to drive it home at night.  So that's two vehicles.  Then he said his girl friend might move in one day and she also works fir the same department with two vehicles.  That is 4 vehicles!

First of all his GF would have to be screened, that aside, the possibility of needing 4 spaces is going to be an big issue.

Do you have a clause in your lease with a parking space limit?  He said he can work out the parking space issues amongst the other tenants when the time comes, but I think by then it would be too late.  Thoughts?

There is no street parking.

@Sam Leon Yes it is to late, but you should address this in your lease. It's in all my leases.

@Sam Leon , this is a massive hassle waiting to happen. No street parking means that any extra spaces this tenant takes up are spaces you can't give out to other tenants.

I would tell him in no uncertain terms, and get it in writing and have him sign it, that his unit comes with one parking space. The extra two spaces are first come first serve, or available for $50/month or however you allot those extra two spaces. I would not give him 4 spaces. This will cause ill will toward him and probably you from the other tenants. Absolutely do not let him "work it out" with the other tenants. YOU are the property owner, YOU set the rules.

Or just pass on him and wait for the next good tenant who understands how it works.

I couldn't agree more with @Mindy Jensen !!! Never let the tenants dictate policy! You are the owner, you set the rules. You don't have to be rude or disrespectful but tenants need to know that you are in charge. Find out what your other tenants needs are and see if there is a creative compromise, but make everyone involved sign new lease agreements stating the changes!

For all of my leases, it specifies how many vehicles are allowed to park off street. I also have them write the year, make, model and plate number in the lease so I know who is who. Also my properties have assigned spots with signs so everyone knows where they are to park. Any vehicles not on my leases are to park on the street. I have it very spelled out in my leases because I ran into issues in the last few years and got tired of the complaints and headaches and now I have no issues with parking. 4 cars for one apartment is too many and unfair to the others. Just because he can take his vehicle home doesn't mean he has to.

UM HECK NO!!! ON letting tenants discuss it! That a recipe for a dister!!

There is a reason why my 16 page lease is the key to me sleeping well at night ;)

My quick off hand landlord answer (i.e. no legal advice). One spot is "free" with the unit, and the second spot comes at an increased rent. That way the 5 & 6 are fairly dished out and come at an increased rate. Each spot is designated to a person with their apartment number on it. No parking in other people spaces. 

Done :)

@Stephen Akindona said it very well. It doesn't have to be confrontational, just firm. Each unit comes with one spot. The other two are available for a fee (extra money in your pocket? Um, yes please!) and on a first-come first served basis. Whenever a tenant with the extra spot moves out or no longer wants it, it becomes available to the oldest tenant with first right of refusal, and then down the line. 

@Stephen Bell came across these problems and after spelling it out with a (hopefully written) policy, he now has no more headaches. One of the best parts of BP is learning from others. 

@Elizabeth Colegrove has a 16 page lease. How long is yours? As policy changes come up, add to the lease.

Good luck @Sam Leon

Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen :

@Stephen Akindona said it very well. It doesn't have to be confrontational, just firm. Each unit comes with one spot. The other two are available for a fee (extra money in your pocket? Um, yes please!) and on a first-come first served basis. Whenever a tenant with the extra spot moves out or no longer wants it, it becomes available to the oldest tenant with first right of refusal, and then down the line. 

@Stephen Bell came across these problems and after spelling it out with a (hopefully written) policy, he now has no more headaches. One of the best parts of BP is learning from others. 

@Elizabeth Colegrove has a 16 page lease. How long is yours? As policy changes come up, add to the lease.

Good luck @Sam Leon. 

My lease is 16 pages long too, but that includes a 10 page lease, a one page early termination addendum, a two page pet addendum if applicable, a one page special clauses, and the original 2 page application form which I integrate as part of the lease so if they lie on the application it becomes a lease violation.  That totals 16 pages as well.

BUT I don't have a parking allocation clause.  Would love to see how that clause read as this is not something the standard FAR residential lease addresses.

Sam Leon my lease reads like this, paragraph 33, vehicle policy, "the tenant agrees never to park or store a motor home, camper, or any sort of recreational vehicle on the premesis and to park only "x" automobiles, license plate number "xxx-xxx" make of automobile, __________ only on the paved area provided in the designated and labeled parking spots. Junk cars, cars in blocks, non-functioning or unregistered vehicles are not permitted on or about the property, landlord may remove above said vehicles at personal property owners expense." It goes more in depth in my actual lease but you get the picture. I am not an attorney nor am I giving legal advice so take it as you'd like.

Thanks @Stephen Bell , I just amended my lease to include a maximum allocation of one vehicle per bedroom per unit unless with prior written consent by Landlord.  I also added in a clause to prohibit parking or storage of boats, Recreational Vehicle (RV) and Camping Equipment (CE) in the form of a pick-up camper, travel trailer, tent trailer, camp trailer and motor home etc...I had meant to add that for the multi-family leases but forgot to do so.

@Stephen Bell - don't forget that some tenants have motorcycles and motor scooters ...

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.