How I almost got in jail for being a landlord in Brooklyn Center

5 Replies

Well here is what I would do in that case. The water bill is obviously a sticking point, so you need to remove it from the equation. No one in that city should ever allow the tenants to put the water in their name. The landlord should instead always keep the water bill in their name, and then charge the sum total of the bill to the tenant every month. If the tenant does not pay, you will know immediately, and have grounds for eviction. Also the city will always get their money because it is coming from you, so that issue will not arise.

Originally posted by @Anthony Gayden:

Well here is what I would do in that case. The water bill is obviously a sticking point, so you need to remove it from the equation. No one in that city should ever allow the tenants to put the water in their name. The landlord should instead always keep the water bill in their name, and then charge the sum total of the bill to the tenant every month. If the tenant does not pay, you will know immediately, and have grounds for eviction. Also the city will always get their money because it is coming from you, so that issue will not arise.

Another thing that I would have paid the water bill for the tenant, regardless of if it was $800+. Then you would have been able to get your rental license. Taking a loss like that sucks, but it actually would have been cheaper than the legal fees, and having a criminal record. Of course I would immediately move to get rid of that tenant. 

I manage properties in Brooklyn Center and Brooklyn Park.   You can request duplicate bills so to see if your renter is paying.  They are quarterly, so the balance can sneak up on you quickly, but I have done this for the past 7 years on my single family units.  Unfortunately I have had the same problem, but was able to catch it right away and bill the tenant after paying the balance myself.

We also manage apartment communities in the area, in that case, we just pay the water bill.

Updated over 3 years ago

@Michael Tempel

Hey Michael, Have you heard anything about the City of Brooklyn Center not allowing new Landlords/rentals currently? A few of my family members told me this last weekend I was there and was not aware or some sort of ban the City put on I believe due to the saturation of rentals the city has. You hear anything about this?

Thanks!