Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Armstrong
  • Investor
  • Birmingham, AL
Votes |
Letting go of a long term tenant after purchasing duplex.

Nicholas Armstrong
  • Investor
  • Birmingham, AL
Posted Feb 6 2016, 18:04

Hello all,

I have posted about this topic before, but never got into the specifics of it.

I have purchased a duplex with one unit being occupied by a long term (5 year) tenant. The issue is that the long term tenant never had a lease agreement, he's been paying 1/2 of fair market rent and he doesn't have an actual job. He is a photographer, and builds LED lights for ATV's. So in other words he does odd and end things to make money. He's also a 40+ year old bachelor who smokes and drinks.. alot! (I have nothing against either, but his entire unit is filled with empty vodka bottles so it makes me wonder) Also during the inspection today a giant cat ran out of the closet and the tenant replies "I hope you like animals!"

So needless to say he will not be staying. Smoking and animals are no go's for me.

Here is my question:

A. Should I request the property be vacant upon closing to start fresh? And if so how do I do that at closing? or,

B. Write up a 3 month lease raising his rent a couple hundred dollars. This could give him a little while to find another place and maybe he will not destroy his unit out of hatred towards me.

I worry that if I ask for the property to be vacant he will destroy his unit out of anger.

But on the flip side I really don't want to live by this guy... or be his landlord for 3 months. (I will be occupying the other side)

Thoughts?

Loading replies...