Coinless Laundry

3 Replies

I own a 3 unit building and a 4 unit building.  I was interested in looking into coinless laundry systems that take credit card.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  I only have one washer and dryer in each building so my fear is that it will be too expensive to be practical.  Just tired of coins jamming and having to go collect them.

Originally posted by @David Calzaretta :

I own a 3 unit building and a 4 unit building.  I was interested in looking into coinless laundry systems that take credit card.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  I only have one washer and dryer in each building so my fear is that it will be too expensive to be practical.  Just tired of coins jamming and having to go collect them.

I can tell you what it's like from the perspective of being a tenant now in a building with the coinless machines:

They still mess up.  They sometimes eat cards.  There's a learning curve with tenants who have a hard time figuring out the machine, so you'd have to train your tenants or field calls asking what to do.

And what I don't like about them as a tenant, is that they require a minimum transfer of funds from your bank account of $10.  I quit using the ones here because that's so frustrating.  What if I just want to dry a load of clothes and don't want to tie up $10 from my bank account to do it?

Right now I have some weird balance on my card and getting my money back is probably going to be a hassle, too.  So, when tenants want to get the rest of the balance left on their card back, you'll be dealing with helping them figure out how to do that, too.  

I just quit using the facility here, and I go to a local laundromat that has attendants on duty who can give me my money back if a machine doesn't work, and lets me just use quarters.

So, anyway, I wouldn't expect them to give you less hassle, honestly, if that's what you're after.  They'll probably be a lot more hassle.  And if they're more expensive, then you might as well leave it alone, in my opinion.

Look into commercial laundry companies that do all this for you.  They install machines and service them, and split the profits with you.  

Similar to you owning a gas station and having an ATM guy come in and place a machine.  Less headache, no service calls, and they usually are pretty fair with splits.