Unit with "bonus" room, has egress, but shares a wall with garage

6 Replies

There is a Rhode Island multifamily building that has a 1 bed/1ba listed as one of the units.  It includes a finished bonus room (300 sq ft that has egress).  *The room shares a wall with the unit's garage and has a fire rated door that goes into the garage. There is an additional door that connects the room to the unit. 

Why wouldn't they have turned this into a bedroom?  

Before I go to the town... I'm wondering why it might not be allowed to be a bedroom. 

It has egress, would I be able to rent it as is?

Originally posted by @Matthew Sidlo:

There is a Rhode Island multifamily building that has a 1 bed/1ba listed as one of the units.  It includes a finished bonus room (300 sq ft that has egress).  *The room shares a wall with the unit's garage and has a fire rated door that goes into the garage. There is an additional door that connects the room to the unit. 

Why wouldn't they have turned this into a bedroom?  

Before I go to the town... I'm wondering why it might not be allowed to be a bedroom. 

It has egress, would I be able to rent it as a bedroom? Is that legal? 

Promotion
Marko Rubel
ATTENTION INVESTORS
Get Deals 100% Funded – No Credit, No Banks, No Job Verification
New Unlimited Funding® program for investors: low-interest, without banks or shark lenders.
Check availability

Hi Jim! Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it!  No closet in there yet, just didn't want to spend the money /time if there was something obvious that I'm missing.  Thanks again!  What's your property management company called?

Thanks Fred, there are two large windows in the room, and a door to the outside.   It is very confusing why they didn't put a closet in there and make it a bedroom.