Laundry dispute

6 Replies

My tenant says she's uncomfortable sharing laundry facilities.  

The unit above her had an old stackable,which I  removed. There is a utility shed with all four water heaters and a washer & dryer, which unit #1 has always used. Unit 3 will now use it as well (stackable was in the kitchen next to the fridge and looked better gone for showing purposes.) 

Any advice on how to deal with unit #1?

Does your lease provide laundry facilities? Did you remove a washer she had private access to? Otherwise you are not obligated to furnish a washing machine to her specifications. It is there for a courtesy only, she is welcome to go to a nearby laundromat.

Unless specifically mentioned in the lease, you may proceed anyway you please.

Personally, I offer only the HOOKUPS and never the appliances, as they create maintenance issues.

Promotion
Motivated Leads
Marketing For Investors…By Investors
We Get Houses For Real Estate Investors
We help investors get more off market deals from distressed sellers.
Learn More

First off, install coin ops if you haven't already.  It sounds menial, but once you have enough of them, they really add up.  I was able to pay my mortgage just on the change that I cashed in each month from coin ops, so its definitely something to explore. 

Depending on what your lease says or doesn't say, if its just a matter of being comfortable or not without a particular incident or event to reference, it would not be a negotiation in one of my houses.  She would use the common laundry that you supply as option 1.  Option 2 would be to go to a laundromat.  Option 3 would be to move over something as stupid as laundry, or option 4 would be for her to buy a house so that she doesn't have to nit pick.  That is a needy tenant.  We all have them from time to time. 

The laundry room is "common access". It is located in a utility shed that also houses the boiler units (old building) and water heaters. The building is 4 units and three of the 4 units have private washer/dryers inside the units. Only #3 uses the utility shed.

Today I get a call from a tenant (#1). The stackable washer/dryer was unable to be installed because it didn't have proper ducting. It is roughly $1200 to complete the ducting work. On top of that #1 would prefer to use the utility shed (with #3) since the stackable is in the kitchen and takes up too much space. The lease includes use of a washer/dryer but does not specify shared or private.

What is a good way to tell unit #3 she will be sharing the space? Thanks all for the help!