• Investor
  • Bartlett, IL
Votes |
eviction in cook county Chicago, property bought on auction

Robert D.
  • Investor
  • Bartlett, IL
Posted Sep 5 2016, 08:54

Does somebody have experience with eviction of non owner occupant in cook county Chicago ? I purchased the property on the judicial sale and looks like somebody lives there. The law in IL states I need to give them 90 day notice. I also need to give them certain disclosures and offer them a lease if property is in Chicago. So called keep Chicago renting ordinance applies. So basically 90 day notice and then to file. ….but I have that investor friend of mine who is telling me that I can give them 5 day notice for non payment of rent and file a lawsuit against them if they don’t pay. Drag them to court and hope that they will agree in court to either pay or leave. This guy is pretty creative and I follow what he tries to do. Evict based on non payment of rent or agree and get order of possession “instanter” if they break the court ordered agreement. Has anybody tried that strategy in Chicago ? I guess the thinking is the following : yes we gave you 90 day notice but it does not mean you don’t have to pay your rent to the new owner. We don’t know whether you paid or nor to the old owner, we don’t have the signed lease with you. We told you that from 9/1 the rent is $900 per month and we will sue for that amount in court. We left you 2 copies of leave which you never signed ..but we don’t care and file anyways. Makes sense ?

Loading replies...