Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Bowden
  • Contractor
  • Pawcatuck, CT
Votes |
Connecticut landlord raising rent by 45%. Legal?

Andrew Bowden
  • Contractor
  • Pawcatuck, CT
Posted Oct 8 2016, 08:02
Hello again BP. I have a fair question. I live in Connecticut. On a month to month with no lease. Is it possible for the landlord to up rent by as much as 45% in as little as one month? The circumstances are as follows. Due to family issues I was left with having to move in to my mothers house with my two children. My mother has been renting this place for over 10 years and never late on rent. The landlord found out my two children and I are now residing at the residence. He apparently does not want me and my two children at the residence. He sent my mother a letter and in the letter stating that the rent for the next month was going to be $XXX.XX more or you are going to be evicted and your son and his children have to be out by the next following month regardless. Is this legal for him to do? It doesn't seem right. I would understand if he wanted more for rent, but not as much as 45%. And given the fact of my children are at a very young age. I feel that this is discrimination. Thanks, Andrew

Loading replies...