• Real Estate Investor
  • Stamford, CT
Votes |
Security deposit issue

Pat Lione
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Stamford, CT
Posted Aug 9 2009, 13:11

I recently had a tenant move out. I did not return his security deposit due to the fact that he damaged my Porsche that was in the garage. Long story short. I rented a couple of rooms in my house to a proffesional with a doctorate degree. Part of the deal is he had use of w/d that was in my garage. This guy was using the laundry one night and decided that it was a good idea to move both my bicycles and lean them up against my car. He did this rather forcefully because he left deep gouges in the car. When I asked him why he told me he didn't think I was using it so it was ok I got an estimate for $2700 to fix the damages. His security is $1800. Upon moving out i asked for the the difference after left over utilities and cleaning. In the lease it specifically states "Tenant is responsible for all repairs due to his negligence" Is the garage considered common area since that is where the laundry is? This guy had a lawyer contact me telling me it was unlawful for me to hold his security due to motor vehicle damage. I figured he was just trying to scare me into writing a check. Yesterday I recieve notice that he (tenant) is suing me for double the security $3600 because i held it for more than 30 days. This guy now denies this ever happened. He really has some balls.

Loading replies...