• Winslow, ME
Votes |
landlord controlled thermostats

Kenneth LaVoie
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Winslow, ME
Posted Sep 29 2009, 11:44

Hi all
I was wondering about your experiences with controlled thermostats -- there seems to be so many choices -- ones that are actually hard set, like 71 degrees or 73, then units that are both programmable or not but have "set points," etc. I'd like to have them be programmable so that I can set them at a MAX like 72 degrees, but also be able to have them go down a few degrees at night -- any thoughts? this article has alot of info but I'd like to hear from real landlords

http://www.prothermostats.com/article.php/thermostats-and-other-products-that-help-protect-landlords-from-high-utility-bills/?id=5

User Stats

Votes
Jon Holdman
  • Mercer Island, WA
Votes |
  • Mercer Island, WA
ModeratorReplied Sep 29 2009, 07:59

Make them pay utilities. You think they can't fool these with a bag of ice or hot water hung over the thermostat?

User Stats

Votes
Shane M
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Replied Sep 29 2009, 10:02

Exactly what I was thinking, even a small electronic that puts off heat can trick most basic sensors. You could get clever and hide them in strategic locations, but the truly determined will ultimately find them anyway. Plus what's the problem with getting the tenant to pay anyway?

I guess you could build in some kind of fee or penalty if you catch them messing with the sensors, but it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth LaVoie
  • Winslow, ME
Votes |
  • Winslow, ME
Replied Sep 29 2009, 17:25

I havne't been a landlord for too long, but my research so far indicates that tenant paid heat does not really exist in central maine. (not with multi units above 4 units anyway) -- There's one big furnace. I have a duplex that has 2 furnaces and they pay their own, and of course ALL 3 of my SFR do but htis is a 7 unit with a furnace the size of a 57 studebaker.

I do hear from most of you though, that having the tenant pay is the only option. I keep forgetting to ask how you do this when you get into the multi units, like 4, 5 and above.

I DO HAVE 2 efficiencies (borderline 1 BR except for no real wall btwn living room and kitchen) and I can see putting propane monitor heat in them and having tenant pay -- PLUS they are the bulk of the first floor so it will help offset the upper story.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Rossi
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Ohio
Replied Sep 29 2009, 21:47
I do hear from most of you though, that having the tenant pay is the only option. I keep forgetting to ask how you do this when you get into the multi units, like 4, 5 and above.

It's very easy! Simply don't buy a building if it has owner paid heat or buy the building so cheap that you can convert it.

There is nothing magical about larger buildings. If you can't make money with them, DON'T BUY THEM!!!

Mike

User Stats

Votes
Jon Holdman
  • Mercer Island, WA
Votes |
  • Mercer Island, WA
ModeratorReplied Sep 29 2009, 21:49

That's common around here, too. I just don't buy those units. I wouldn't want to be paying for heat in Denver of Maine. Remember, the goal is to make money, not to own real estate.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Trepins
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Wyoming, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Wyoming, MI
Replied Sep 29 2009, 21:59

On the THERMOSTAT issue,
we do have a duplex with the heat not separated and I was just talking about the subject of a stat with a limiter on it.

We do have a programmable one with lockable limits on it(on another property) but I was wondering what ALL the different ideas are?

And when you can buy a property and rehab it for a total of 25K and it cash flows $1250/month..sometimes we just deal with paying the heat and just get creative on how to control the heat costs.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Sep 30 2009, 12:52
Originally posted by Kenneth LaVoie:
I keep forgetting to ask how you do this when you get into the multi units, like 4, 5 and above.

In some multi-unit rentals that I have seen, electric baseboard heat is used in units where running heat via other methods is prohibitive to do.