Votes
Ed Perez
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Carpet or woodfloor for rentals?

Ed Perez
  • Cleveland, OH
Posted Feb 13 2017, 09:45

Hello, I just evicted my tenants who stayed in my property for only 11 months. Unfortunately, they left my property with damaged carpet, holes on the walls,  in additional to leaving behind their filthy belongings.  Now, I'm torn between getting new carpeting or just refinish the existing beautiful woodfloor. I can save money on new carpeting compare to refinishing the woodfloor, but there's this possibility that my next tenants may do the same thing.  So, it better not to install new carpeting and just refinish the woodfloor? Any thoughts you may share is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

User Stats

Votes
Anna Watkins
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Feb 15 2017, 05:16

@Chris Herrera -- so far so good.  Yes, the vinyl plank (TrafficMaster grip strip planks) over carpet does sink a bit (like carpet, but it bounces up), so it's unexpected, but not unpleasant.  It's low-pile very basic carpet that I inherited with the house, not anything plush. I did this in a "bonus room" that had been created from an enclosed carport, so the base is just carport slab. This solution has the benefits of both flooring types :-)  and it was way cheaper than anything else I could think of.