• Windsor, Ontario
Votes |
Utility options in Ontario?

Greg Sheldon
  • Investor
  • Windsor, Ontario
Posted Feb 25 2017, 09:50

Greetings Folks!

I am trying to find options in dealing with the utilities in a triplex I own. When I purchased it, all utilities were included in the leases. It's an upper/lower duplex (2/1's) with an added attic (1/1) suite. The 2 - 2 bedroom units share a gas forced air & a.c., the attic is separate with baseboard heaters & window ac's. As tenants turn over, I would like to rewrite the leases to somehow exclude utilities.

Am I correct in understanding the following?

1) Sub-metering is not allowed for electric heated apartments (at least not allowed for the heaters), therefore the attic cannot be separated.

2) RUBS - Utility splitting option. My understanding is that the utility cost is not considered 'rent' and therefore, in Ontario, if not paid by the tenant - cannot be grounds for eviction. A landlord can sue (small claims) for the unpaid bill, but cannot remove the negligent tenant.

The furnace & a/c are new high efficiency units, all fridges are newer & eco rated and I've swapped every bulb to LEDs, but the electric bills are startlingly high. There are 2 100w panels, though there seems to be some blur between which powers what. The attic at least has it's own sub panel.

As everyone in Ontario knows, Hydro prices have skyrocketed recently & are forecasted to continue for the foreseeable years. If I can only increase rents 1.5-2% and yet utilities increase by 10% well... It's not looking good for the future.

Thoughts? Suggestions?? (and yes, before the other Greg S. chimes in, I know I know - I won't ever buy another unit with included utilities ;-)  This one though, I had to buy...)

Thanks!

Greg