Votes
Michael Snead
  • Newport News, VA
Votes |
Inheriting a tenant. Need some advice.

Michael Snead
  • Newport News, VA
Posted Jun 9 2017, 13:19
What's up BP, So I am inheriting a tenant any day now and while I'm waiting on this delayed closing (April 10th) I figured I would get some advice. I've done a fair share of research but I could use the collective experience of BP. They guy is paying far under market rent, he has 10 broken lawn mowers in the back yard, one disabled car in the front yard, has let the bathroom floor rot, and the siding partially fall off.... I told him months ago when I was supposed to close that if he could get the car out of the yard, get the lawn mowers that are visible from the street out of sight, and secure rent subsidy by closing then he would have the option to sign my 1 year lease. His other option is to find somewhere else, and upon completely cleaning out the house and removing all his property he would receive a sum of cash ($200-$300) to go towards his new place. He has since made no effort to fix any issues, and my insurance company is screaming to have the car removed and the siding repaired, even though I don't own the place yet. (ridiculous?!) What are my options when I close? I want him out, but how much time do I legally have to give him? What is the best move to avoid a costly eviction? Thanks guys

Loading replies...