Votes
Dana Holland
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Tenants: "Sign off on move out condition or you can't show house"

Dana Holland
  • Phoenix, AZ
Posted Jul 25 2017, 07:36

Tenants lease is up on the 31st (next Monday). They have been overly-entitled and argumentative throughout the lease.  We have the home on the market to sell and their lease states that they will allow us to show it when given 24 hour notice.  Throughout this month they have refused to leave the house for any showings and on a few occasions have told us that a showing request wasn't convenient for them as they are packing and moving.  We have been understanding about this and let it slide even though we feel as though they are not holding up their side of the lease.

Now they tell us that they have moved out of the house completely, and they want us to meet today to sign off on the condition of the home.  They gave us less than 24 hours notice about this move out inspection request.  They go on to say that if we don't meet and actually provide a signature affirming the condition of the home, that they won't let us show it for the next week as they cannot come back to the home to check the condition after each showing (as if a prospective buyer might take a sledgehammer to the walls??).  

So what to do?? On one hand we really want to take possession back asap, but this week and the next couple of days in particular are not convenient at all for us.  We would have to really rearrange our schedules to make it happen and even then we could probably meet for 20 minutes and do a quick, non thorough walk through.  If I tell them that we can meet but we won't sign off, I'm sure they will vehemently argue that it is required of us to sign off (I don't think it is).  

Any tips appreciated!  (By the way, in AZ the tenants can be present for the walk through if they request). 

Loading replies...