Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Jennings
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Texas Property Code on Evictions, multiple locations?

Jeff Jennings
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Posted Oct 19 2017, 17:53

I have been reading through the Texas Property code as I am going through a "more intense than normal" eviction.  The tenant has threatened damage to the property (most likely has already done this) and direct threats as well.    This is to the point I have gone to the police and constable's station to find out what to do next.

I have already filed a eviction for the tenant however this unit is part of a duplex and the next door neighbor is getting a water bill for $650+ and I have a reason to believe the tenant has mucked with the plumbing.  

There is also a leak in the ceiling I was able to observe while standing at the doorway to the unit.  

At this point I am trying to gain access to the property to do maintenance on the unit (fix the ceiling and the main cause of this issue) and do a inspection of the unit while i'm at it.  The tenant has not agreed to allow access however my lease says I can gain access at any time.

I have as a courtesy been providing the tenant 24 hours notice that I am about to come enter the unit the next day.  Then if the tenant refuses to allow me to access the property then I will call the police or constable and tell them the tenant is not allowing my access.  Hopefully this is the correct procedure.

I have been going through the Texas Property Code and have been unable to find the section which provides information on my ability to gain access to the property (which would supersede my lease).  Does anyone know which chapter may contain this information.  The closest chapters I have read through that might contain this information were Chapter 24 and Chapter 92 which neither contained information about landlord access itself.

Any help would be appreciated, after doing over 40 - 50 evictions, this one has been "interesting" and I want to make sure the moves I make are in best faith.

Thank you,

Jeff

Loading replies...