Question about serving a tenant

4 Replies

I've recently started managing my father's rental properties and acting as the property manager on his behalf. This is in New york. I know that a third party is normally used for serving tenants, but would I be able to serve a tenant myself directly? Even though I'm family of the landlord I'm still the acting agent in charge of managing the property. Would this be a hiccup in court and should I just find someone else to serve them?

You should begin by studying your state landlord tenant regulations. If you intend to manage a property you need to know the law, all the laws.

The answer to your question should be found in the state regulations.

If you are managing on behalf of the Landlord, you probably need to use someone else to serve notice. I agree with @Thomas S. that you need to learn your law or find a good attorney to do it right.

Thanks guys I've been going through New York's eviction laws since posting this and really should have started there'

Originally posted by @Adam A. :

Thanks guys I've been going through New York's eviction laws since posting this and really should have started there'

If the answer is not there it would be in the rules of civil procedure applicable to the court you need to file in.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here