Termination of existing lease & establishing a new one

2 Replies

Hello! Happy holidays and may the new year bring you bundles of happiness. I have 2 tenants one of which that wants to stay at the end of the lease and the other who wants to leave. Both have been semi great but I'm ready to Move on from both. Since they're both on the same lease I think it will be a breeze but looking to hear of the best ways to break the news gently and have a peaceful ending to this relationship.

Send them a notice of non renewal, according to your local laws and lease stipulations.

Typically you must send this with 30 days notice, but some areas may say 60, and the more notice you give them, the better. You should also be able to find a template online or on BP somewhere.

Originally posted by @Pavan Sandhu :
Hello! Happy holidays and may the new year bring you bundles of happiness.

I have 2 tenants one of which that wants to stay at the end of the lease and the other who wants to leave. Both have been semi great but I'm ready to Move on from both. Since they're both on the same lease I think it will be a breeze but looking to hear of the best ways to break the news gently and have a peaceful ending to this relationship.

Follow what is required of you by the landlord-tenant law applicable to your jurisdiction. Also, reread your lease agreement and abide what it says as well.

In many locales a fixed-term lease will automatically renew into a month-to-month agreement unless one party or the other gives proper notice to not renew. Written notice of renewal or non-renewal should be made in writing and with ample notice for the good of all parties concerned.

What specifically is the reason you are labeling the tenant as "semi-great" and what do you hope to achieve by moving them out and searching for another tenant? Is there a way you could save this tenancy and guide the tenant from being "semi-great" to being better? Do you really want to have a vacancy now?

In any case, be respectful and polite in your communications. If you choose to end the relationship, be aware you are taking away from the tenant their "home" and they may face some real barriers to moving on. If they need help with those barriers, consider what you can do to make the transition easier.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here