Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Anna M.
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Carbon Monoxide Detectors – Where do you place them?

Anna M.
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Posted Jan 7 2018, 16:53

Carbon Monoxide Detectors – Follow on to the discussion, “Do You Provide Carbon Monoxide Detectors?”

Where should I place them?  How many should I have?  Plug in or battery operated or both?  What say you?  Check out this link.  

https://www.lincolncounty.org/DocumentCenter/View/7767

Like many, I have the smoke, CO combo detectors, but is this adequate?  They are currently placed in every bedroom, hallway, living room and kitchen.  But how many of us stop to think about just where the CO detect should go?  I have had them on the ceiling all this time, but is that the correct location or should you have a backup, knee height?Special thanks to @Matt Shields for starting the discussion.  I did not want to hijack his post so decided to start a follow up discussion on placement of these safety features.

Side note- Water alarms:  How many of you have water alarms?  I find them extremely reassuring to have especially with a basemen unit.  Place them by the toilet, under the bathroom/kitchen sink, water heater, anywhere, there is potential for water leaks.  They are noisy too, but that's when you thank the heavens!

Fire Extinguisher:  Do you have one?  What kind is sufficient for your rental? I do the ABC + the kitchen fire kind, is this overkill?  What would you do for your property?  How often do you check them?  Once every 6 months for me.  Overkill?

Loading replies...