Mystery Leak with Inherited Tenant

1 Reply

I have a 6-unit B class property with all inherited tenants.  It has now been a year and no big issues, moving right along.  All of a sudden I get a call from a tenant saying there is a major leak.  I go over to check it out (I am a DIY landlord), sure enough it looks like a leak in the corner of a room.  It is the top floor unit, so no plumbing above, and the leak seems to have started in the middle of the wall which is odd.  I have a roofer come inspect, and it happened to be when it was raining after a snow/ice storm was thawing out, and saw no issues whatsoever.  Had a mason inspect, no issues with brick.  Inspection report had no issues in the attic.  Has anyone had experience with this kind of issue?  Could it be self-created?  What are my options, since I will need to get it fixed and probably replace the drywall which will most likely need to be done only after the unit is vacated. Thanks! 

@Rob Braun

You probably will not know for certain until you open the wall, but it is still possible to be water from outside that has travelled (along wiring, down a stud, etc.).  We've had water introduce itself 10' or more away from the point of ingress.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.