Power line/telephone poles in the backyard

3 Replies

Hello! I found an interesting SFH that has a nice size back yard, but I’m hesitating because there are two large wooden power line/telephone poles in it. The numbers work as an SFR but should I be worried about the poles being a liability? Is there anything I can do to protect myself from an accident? Thanks!

@Nam Nguyen - I don't see any issues with liability, but check with your insurance agent.  

If you are concerned about the poles coming down on the house, how do they look visually at the base? e.g. any rot?  You could probably get the local power distributor (is it Oncor down there?) out to check for you.

From a tenant liability perspective, e.g. kids climbing on them, if needed could you fence them in?

My bigger concern would be impact on the value of the house. If you are a cash buyer, no big deal, but if you plan to sell or refi, be sure to consider those.

Andy

Andy Webb, Real Estate Agent in Texas (#692589)
214-263-0021

The poles would be the power companies liability .

By the way , you probably need them for electric to the house 

Originally posted by @Nam Nguyen :
Hello!

I found an interesting SFH that has a nice size back yard, but I'm hesitating because there are two large wooden power line/telephone poles in it.

The numbers work as an SFR but should I be worried about the poles being a liability? Is there anything I can do to protect myself from an accident?

Thanks!

Very common in many municipalities. In my opinion this is a non issue.

James Wise, Real Estate Agent in OH (#2015001161)
216-661-6633

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.