Condos - other landlord's tenants disturbing my tenants

2 Replies

I own and self manage (out of state) a luxury townhouse in a high end neighborhood (A-). I know the owner of the adjoining unit, who has a property manager and lives out of the country. My current tenant (wonderful, ideal tenant!) has recently informed me that the neighbors with whom they share a wall are 1) drumming often and during late hours (they do have a drum set but say they have "dampers" on the drums and 2) the couple is constantly fighting very loudly - shouts which are heard through the wall, and fights are often outside in the front yard as well. Domestic disputes are not expected in this neighborhood - there is an HOA with tight restrictions and generally high caliber tenants. My question is: Do I contact the owner or property manager regarding these issues? As a landlord, I would certainly want to know if I had unruly tenants in place and would be disappointed my PM had not screened them better. Which is why I think contacting the owner may be preferable. On the other hand, since they have hired a PM, maybe they would wish for all communication to go directly through PM?

@Sarah Buchanan - Since you know the owner, I would reach out to him directly. Don't take an accusatory approach as it might make him defensive. I would take the approach of, "hey the tenants the PM placed seem to be having a lot of issues like x,y &z. I wasn't sure if your PM knew or was passing the info along to you, so I thought I would let you know as I would like to know if tenants in my unit were causing problems". Or something to that effect. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.