Votes
Moises Rodriguez
  • Stanton, CA
Votes |
Househacking a Triplex but paying too much in utility bills

Moises Rodriguez
  • Stanton, CA
Posted Mar 14 2018, 08:12

Hello, I am currently house hacking a triplex. The tenants were already moved in before I bought the home. The electric is all separate but I am having to pay for the gas, water, sewer, and trash bill. I can manage to pay all the bills but I am wanting to know if it is possible if the gas can be paid by the tenants? There is only one gas meter BUT  Unit A is the main unit and is on the first floor, they have a thermostat in their unit and the furnace is located in the basement. Unit B is the other unit that has the other thermostat and the furnace to it is located in the attic. Since technology is getting better and better every day is it possible to get a zoned system with the Nest thermostat? Would like to know what other tenants have done? I think I have only two options and one would have to be raising the rent for the tenants or making it all electric and put some kind of lockbox on thermostats so tenants cant touch them.  Also once I move out, I wouldn't mind gaining a little bit more of a return if I didn't have to pay those extra bills. Thanks in advance for your help! 

Loading replies...