Rental Management Company Recommendation

8 Replies

Hello, I'm just starting to look into purchasing a rental property in Houston Texas or Florida and am looking for some advice.

What are some good neighborhoods to look in?

I'm wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for a rental property management company, as I live out of state in CA.

Any other tips or advice on what to watch out for would be appreciated!

Thank you.

Hi Brandon,

Good neighborhoods is a very loosely used term. I think something more helpful would be to ask what is your criteria? Then based off of that people can help to point you in the right direction. There's a myriad of property management companies in Houston. I am sure other vendors will chime in. My brokerage has a separate entity that's strictly for PM. Check out about 2 or 3 recommendations and compare and contrast from there.

Originally posted by @Michael Pittman :

Hi Brandon,

Good neighborhoods is a very loosely used term. I think something more helpful would be to ask what is your criteria? Then based off of that people can help to point you in the right direction. There's a myriad of property management companies in Houston. I am sure other vendors will chime in. My brokerage has a separate entity that's strictly for PM. Check out about 2 or 3 recommendations and compare and contrast from there.

Hi Michael,

I agree, 'good' neighborhood is somewhat ambiguous. My criteria is to find a rental property that I could put 20-30k down on, then rent out with positive cash flow (i.e., the rental income exceeds the mortgage). Maybe you could get me in contact with the PM entity that you mentioned? Thank you for your help. 

Originally posted by @Brandon Lashmet :
Originally posted by @Michael Pittman:

Hi Brandon,

Hi Michael,

I agree, 'good' neighborhood is somewhat ambiguous. My criteria is to find a rental property that I could put 20-30k down on, then rent out with positive cash flow (i.e., the rental income exceeds the mortgage). Maybe you could get me in contact with the PM entity that you mentioned? Thank you for your help. 

Are you only looking to surpass debt service with rent? So are you hoping for appreciation?

Are you only looking to surpass debt service with rent? So are you hoping for appreciation?

Well, ideally the home will appreciate at least some, however, that's not the main goal. As long as the property produces net positive cash flow after management fees, then I would be interested in learning more about it.

I always wholeheartedly preach West Houston but that’s what I know. I know an agent that works the rest of Houston and deals with investors mostly, she can be of some help if you are able to narrow things down a bit (age,bed,bath,demographic,hoa, strike price, exit if any...etc)

Best of luck and hope to see you in town

I’m wondering what you all think of this analysis:

let’s use this home as an example (can’t post link yet):

Sales Price: 159,500
Down Payment: 31,900
Interest: 4%
Mortgage: $711 per month (P&I, Insurance, Taxes)
Rental Management Fee: $300 (Is this accurate?)
Rental Income: $2,000 per month (is this realistic for a 3 bed 2 bath?)

Net: $2,000 (rental income) - $711 (mortgage) - $300 (rental management) = $989 net.

I realize above calculations might be optimistic, but maybe with repairs/maint. and a higher maint. fee we’d be looking at netting at least $500 per month?
What do you all think of this analysis? The rental income might be way off, not sure about this.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.