Prakash B.
  • Saint Louis, MO
Votes |
Tenant is stealing electricity

Prakash B.
  • Saint Louis, MO
Posted Apr 23 2018, 12:27

Hello BP Folks,

I have a section 8 tenant which i inherited from the previous owner. She has been causing lot of problems and her lease is set to expire in end of July.

I found out from other tenants that she tampered the main electricity meter box to turn the switch ON on her unit. The electricity company had come over and put a lock few days ago and i had asked her to pay her electricity bill.  But instead it looks like she went ahead and tampered the electric meter box and have the electricity turned on. I called her if she paid the bill and she says "Yes" and i asked her to give me the account number and bill receipt which she denies to give.

I called the electricity company and they told me that they cannot check the status until I have the tenant account number. I tried to get it from my tenant but she just denies to give it to me.  I am now in a catch 22 situation where i cant check the status if she has paid the bill  or any info from the electricity company. Should i call the electricity company and report this issue to check if the tenant has been stealing electricity? 

What do you guys advise and how should i approach it?

Thanks!

Loading replies...