Gary Lawson
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Rental Property Yard is Flooding

Gary Lawson
  • Denver, CO
Posted May 16 2018, 05:31

Good Morning!

I have a single family home that I purchased in Southeast Michigan in January 2018.  I have a tenant in there now, and am working with a property manager due to the fact that I do not live in Michigan.  Twice now the tenant has called the property manager to communicate that the back yard is flooding when it rains, providing pictures that substantiate the claim.  The flooding is not impacting the house, just making the backyard pretty wet for a day or two until the precipitation infiltrates the soil (I have included a picture below).  I should point out that Michigan has had an excessively wet year with a lot of snow over the winter, frozen ground late into the spring, and a healthy amount of rain the last few months.

My property manager is telling me the flooding is a significant problem, and that I should take action.  His recommendation is that I should go back to the seller, who did not disclaim any flooding or grading issues in the Seller's Disclosure, and hold their feet to the fire.  His point is that taking care of grading issues is not going to be cheap, and this has to be a historic issue.

Trying to weigh in on other experience and get a second opinion, I also talked to my real estate agent (who is also an investor in Southeast Michigan and has been a pretty honest resource as a new investor).  His thoughts were doubtful that this is a disclosure issue, and should be contributed to a late, wet winter, which led to saturated ground in the wet spring.

I am hoping you all may have some insight from your experiences on how to handle the situation to keep the tenant happy and my property safe while limiting my costs as much as possible. 

Loading replies...