Votes |
Domestic Dispute - Landlord Problem?

Account Closed
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Clarence Creek, Ontario
Posted Jul 10 2018, 04:58

Ontario, Canada

Hello,

I have 2 tenants who recently moved in together.  One tenant decided she wasn't happy with her partner and decided to take his apartment key and kick him out.  That other tenant is asking me for a key so he can go home.  (that was early yesterday)

Later yesterday, the she-tenant asked if the he-tenant could break the lease and move out.  I told them I'd welcome a formal request (letter/email) from him and review it.  5 minutes later, I have an email to the effect that he wants to break his lease and move out and leave the place to her.  And another email from her saying she wants to take over the lease and that her ODSP would pay for the rent in full.

This morning, I get a text from him telling me he's cold and broke and wants food.  That he doesn't like sleeping outside.  My spider senses tingling, I asked him about the email he sent about breaking his lease.  He didn't know what I was talking about.  Then I asked him if she had access to his email.  He said yes..and to his bank account as well.

Regardless of dealing with population that seem to have trouble advocating for themselves, I'm trying to figure out what I SHOULD and CAN do.

Any suggestions that would make sense and not break the Ontario Residential Tenancies Act or upset the folks at the Landlord and Tenant Board?

I plan on meeting with them later today to try and sort out the truth in all of this.  Not sure if the truth matters much at this point.  Though I do believe the she-tenant is manipulative and a pathological liar.

On the bright side, rent paid direct by ODSP and they are clean!

Thanks for any feedback.

Loading replies...