Landlord responsibilities for disabled tenant

4 Replies

Hello,

I own a single family home and am looking to have a family sign soon. They have a disabled person living with them, that they take care of, am I responsible for following ADA codes? I am not sure whether or not I can ask what kind of disability they have to see if I can accommodate at all. Does the disabled person sign a lease aswell if there disabilty money pays for some of the rent? Has anyone ever been in this situation?

Thank you 

Nick 

@Nick Krelwitz I suggest you read up on fair housing laws. You are required to make "reasonable accommodations" based on someones disability. That doesn't necessarily you mean need to pay for them buy you need to allow the tenant to make changes as needed and it is at their expense to change back when they leave.

You absolutely can not discriminate based on disability.

There is a lot more to it but that is the quick and dirty.

Originally posted by @Ned Carey :

@Nick Krelwitz I suggest you read up on fair housing laws. You are required to make "reasonable accommodations" based on someones disability. That doesn't necessarily you mean need to pay for them buy you need to allow the tenant to make changes as needed and it is at their expense to change back when they leave.

You absolutely can not discriminate based on disability.

There is a lot more to it but that is the quick and dirty.

Agreed.

Don't ask about that person's medical condition or disability.  I would assume if the family wants a reasonable accommodation, they will mention it.  If the disabled person is over the age of 18 and mentally competent enough to sign a contract, I would also have them sign the lease.  With that said, I would never ask if a person is mentally competent enough to sign a contract.  I would just expect that person to sign it and, if they aren't, rely on someone in the party to say so.