• Weatherford, TX
Votes |
Renting to a Sex Offender

Aaron Silk
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Weatherford, TX
Posted Aug 20 2018, 07:46

Hello everyone,

I have a question that I am hoping to get some help with. I thank you in advance for any responses.

I have a potential tenant that has contacted me about a property that I own and is available for rent. While speaking with him about the property and discussing us conducting a background check, the potential tenant told me that he has a conviction from 17 years ago when he was 22 years old. He was dating a young lady that said she was 18, but turns out that she was actually 16. He stated that when he found this out, he broke things off with the young lady, but she told her mother, a Houston police officer about the relationship. 

He was sentenced to 5 years probation, and has to register as a sex offender. He is listed as a low risk sex offender. He has not been in any other trouble, and has become a "model" citizen since this incident. He is married with four children, one of the kids, he and his wife adopted 7 years ago. 

My questions are, would you rent a house to an individual that has this record? If so, would you notify the neighbors? What ramifications could this have on my business if I rented a house to this individual? 

Thanks for the help!

-Aaron-

Loading replies...