Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jj Horst
Votes |
House hack - Evicting tenant - He now has overnight guests...

Jj Horst
Posted Sep 18 2018, 11:06

So we have 1 tenant on the lease next door in a house hack. We inherited them from the house sale. She stopped paying rent so we sent a 3 day notice to pay or quit. She abandoned the place but left lots of her property there and her boyfriend who has been living there for years. We gave him until September 17th to move out and we would forgive the outstanding rent (to encourage him to move). He signed the agreement, but did not honor it and has not moved. We had already posted another 3 day notice so I filed an eviction against him today.

The problem is he has had two "guests" there to help him "move" who have been staying there overnight for a week. We told them they can't stay there but they refuse to leave. Neither the tenant nor guests are on the lease. I just can't kick out the tenant because even though he's not on the lease he's been there for years so he's considered a tenant.

Can I simply call the cops to remove the guests who refuse to leave? It's clear they are not intending to leave my property at this point.

Austin, TX.

Thanks! This first house hack has been a pretty bad experience so far...

Loading replies...