Votes
Alejandro Barba
  • Fort Worth
Votes |
Tenant wants to break lease

Alejandro Barba
  • Fort Worth
Posted Oct 15 2018, 16:32

Hello everyone! I recently purchased my first property earlier this year and have been managing myself. The property is a owner occupied fourplex in Texas near the DFW area. 

I just received a call from one of the tenants saying that they want to break the lease and vacate the unit in two weeks. This lease was in place before I acquired the property and ends on April of 2019. I tried to look over the early termination clause in the lease but did not see any specific terms for early termination.

My question is, what can I do about this tenant breaking the lease? The tenant was under the impression that the only repercussion is loss of the deposit because the change of ownership. I informed the tenant that the lease is still in effect. I am unsure on what to do next. This is the what I found on the lease.

This is bad timing for me because I'm pretty limited on time with school, work, and managing the property. I was not expecting termination for another six months.I feel like it might be more difficult to find a new tenant especially with the recent weather and the colder weather coming in. 

Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Loading replies...