Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
James Carollo
  • Contractor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
How well have LUXURY VINYL PLANKS held up?

James Carollo
  • Contractor
  • Kansas City, MO
Posted Nov 27 2018, 18:58
We have installed a whole lot of it to replace carpet. Many of the brands say it’s easy to replace a section rather than the whole floor. I haven’t seen many after a year or so and am wondering if the product stands up and if small repairs to sections actually look good?

User Stats

Votes
Peter B.
  • Investor
  • Ogdensburg, WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Ogdensburg, WI
Replied Nov 30 2018, 03:57

So far so good.... I have installed lvp in nearly 30 units. I think I installed over 400 boxes last year alone. Mostly kitchens and Bathrooms. I have done a few complete unit installs as well. 

The living rooms, seem to be where the damage occurs. We ask folks to put down area rugs or small mats under their furniture. One trick I have used to get the scuffs out is a color match stain stick.  Just color over the scuffs,then take a soft towel (I use a terry cloth) and buff it out. They are almost impossible to see after that.

The thing is though, LVP really hasn't been out long enough for any of us on here to give the gospel answer. 

I probably  installed 10-15 laminate floors going back 15-20 years ago. If you would ask me my opinion back then in year 3-4 I would of probably gave a similar response. Now over time... Not so much.

With a finished install price of almost double of carpet, I'm not totally convinced it is the most cost effective floor covering for every situation.

User Stats

Votes
Terence W.
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Nov 30 2018, 11:14
What are your go to LVPs and how are they installed (glue, floating)?
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Cathie Kovacs
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Stamford, CT
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Stamford, CT
Replied Dec 1 2018, 06:11

I did Mannington Adura plank in an apartment remodel recently. Love it. $2.29/sq.ft. rigid with underlayment attached. So much better than comparable product at Home Cheapo & with a superior wear layer & warranty. Everyone that sees it oohs and aahs.  Really elevated the look of the unit. 

We TRIED to mark and scar it up (as a test) and couldn’t.  We installed it and as newbies to the product, made some minor errors.  Truth is, you can’t tell.  Looks fantastic.  Will be using it again for sure.

Can’t figure out how to attach a pic here or I would  

https://www.carpet-wholesale.com/item-381139/luxury-vinyl/adura-tile/adura-rigid-plank-collection/lakeview-adura-rigid-plank/rapid.php