Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jordan L.
  • Investor
  • USA
Votes |
Have you ever had an air quality test done?

Jordan L.
  • Investor
  • USA
Posted Mar 7 2019, 18:54

I have a rental in which I’m experiencing an issue with thermal tracking or ghosting. I had never heard of this until encountering it in my rental. It essentially involves discoloration of the walls and vaulted ceiling that highlights the framing of the house beneath the sheet rock.

Well, I have the walls and ceiling scheduled to be repainted but now my tenants are claiming the issue is mold related and threatening to contact an attorney. While I’m confident in its cause, I’m having an air quality test performed next week just as a CYA.

This being said, I’ve become concerned. I’m using a water damage restoration company that came recommended to me by my home inspection company, and they have 4.5 stars on HomeAdvisor. I’m concerned because they may find spores anyway, as mold is almost omnipresent in nature. If the test comes back positive, I’m afraid of what may happen with my tenants. My property manager has already told them to move out immediately if they feel the home is a hazard to them, and I’ve already told them I would do the mold test.

What should my plan be in case the test comes back positive? What is the likelihood of a positive result if there are no obvious signs of mold in the home?

Loading replies...