General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jason Mccahan
Votes |
Possible 2 Unit but some serious questions - Newbie

Jason Mccahan
Posted Apr 11 2019, 13:48

I have been looking for some time to buy an investment property.   2 units don't come up very often in our area.   One was listed just this week and I quickly went to go see it.  It is an older house and currently has a 2BR downstairs and a 1BR upstairs.   However while looking at it, I noticed that it only has 1 electric meter, 1 gas meter, and 1 water meter.  Upon further discussions with the realtor, it has come full circle that the unit is still registered as a single family unit.   So to do this right, I would need to put in separate electric.  I could include heat in the cost of the rent as it only has one furnace.   The water will likely require a second meter and while the sewer does not require a separate system, the sewer authority says I would have to still pay a $2,900 tap on fee, but nothing would physically need to be done - they just want to collect the fee.  

I also called the tax assessment office.  They said they will not increase the tax assessment unless I add square footage to the property such as an addition or a storage shed.  

I'm assuming there are other pitfalls I should be looking for here?   Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated.  

Loading replies...