• Investor
  • Broomfield, CO
Votes |
HELP: Medical hardship situation with renters

Mark Poshak
  • Investor
  • Broomfield, CO
Posted May 21 2019, 21:34

Current renters are going through a rough patch. It's two adult sons living with older mom. Mom just had another surgery on her ankle so she is limited. Both sons work (they both had decent jobs, came with great recommendations and lived in their last place for 9 years so we have not had concerns until now). Now son #1 has been in the hospital for ulcers and got fired from his job because of it. They are claiming they have no money for rent. They have yet to pay May. They called crying the other day due to the stress and were asking to allow them to at least stay until end of June.

I want to give them a bit of grace knowing that these two situations are legitimate (and they've been good at rent in the past), but I can't afford to keep them in there in anticipation that this does not get any better (medical bills won't just go away). 

Thoughts on how to proceed? Their contract is up in October 2019 so this would be a break of contract. I don't think they will have any money for May or June. I could use their deposit for rent and require them to cover the difference (around $400). 

I don't want to grant them an "if" clause (out at end of June unless you get a job and can pay rent) because I don't want them to scrape together enough money for June only to not have it again in July, and I want to start showing it so I have someone ready. But I don't want to kick them out at the end of May either.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Loading replies...