Tenant putting garbage in hallway

5 Replies

I have a multi family building with several tenants per floor and one tenant put out by the door their garbage Foods pizza box, and neighbors are complaining about the smell. 

Also the super has told me to tell them about it, but he hasn't cleaned it up.

I have 2 questions 

1) how would you deal with the tenant.

2) can I tell the super to clean it up regardless?  (He is responsible for cleaning building )

Post a notice on the tenant's door telling them garbage is to be placed in the bins outside, not in the hallway.  If garbage is placed there again, they will be fined (include the amount) and send a copy to the super as well.  Tell the super, if the tenant does it again, to issue a fine, take a photo of the door, notice and garbage in a single photo and he can keep half the money from the fine.

Originally posted by @Sami Gren :

I have a multi family building with several tenants per floor and one tenant put out by the door their garbage Foods pizza box, and neighbors are complaining about the smell. 

Also the super has told me to tell them about it, but he hasn't cleaned it up.

I have 2 questions 

1) how would you deal with the tenant.

2) can I tell the super to clean it up regardless?  (He is responsible for cleaning building )

Yes tell the super to clean it up for now. But also issue a written warning to the tenant that doing that again could result in eviction. If they do not listen to the warning it's up to you how far you wish to take things. Me personally I don't evict unless it directly involves me loosing money. Tenant not paying rent = automatic eviction. Tenant doing something that causes other tenants not to pay rent = automatic eviction.