• Wyoming
Votes |
Damage from Neighboring Unit/Landlord

James Letchford
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Wyoming
Posted Jun 17 2019, 16:15

One of my tenants just contacted me and let me know that the unit (that is owned by another landlord and occupied by a tenant) sprung a leak from the washer unit in the laundry room. The water from the leak has seaped under the shared wall between the units, saturating the drywall and underneath my laminate flooring.

I contacted my insurance company to look for their suggested course of action, but they didn't really help much. I don't think I should be responsible for the damages.

Can anyone make some solid suggestions? Is this damage on the neighboring landlord or renter?

Thanks in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Jim Cummings
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • College Station, TX
Replied Jun 17 2019, 20:47

@James Letchford. If you can contact the Owner / PM for other unit apprise them of the situation. Ideally, they will take responsibility for the issue and correct / compensate. Otherwise, it will be on your dime or your insurance company. 

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Olszak
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jun 17 2019, 21:35
Originally posted by @James Letchford:

One of my tenants just contacted me and let me know that the unit (that is owned by another landlord and occupied by a tenant) sprung a leak from the washer unit in the laundry room. The water from the leak has seaped under the shared wall between the units, saturating the drywall and underneath my laminate flooring.

I contacted my insurance company to look for their suggested course of action, but they didn't really help much. I don't think I should be responsible for the damages.

Can anyone make some solid suggestions? Is this damage on the neighboring landlord or renter?

Thanks in advance.

File a claim with your insurance company and have your tenant file a claim for damage to their property with their renters insurance company. Those insurance companies will go after the appropriate party to recoup their costs.

Olszak Realty Inc. Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
James Letchford
Pro Member
  • Wyoming
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Wyoming
Replied Jun 18 2019, 07:29

Thank you both, @Jim Cummings and @Matthew Olszak. I really appreciate your advice and participation.