Discourage an application

4 Replies

I showed my property to a couple who gave me a story about they are closing in the sale of their home in the next month. There goal is to to down size and would like to rent for a while.

Something didn’t feel right so I looked up on tax records and drove by their current house. House is in disrepair and no for sale sign or listing history.

I would absolutely deny there application. I don’t want them to be out the $80 application fee (I use Cozy). Since I have made my decision, should I reach out and ask them not to apply?

I always ask to see the last two months of their checking and savings account statements, before I run a credit check and cost them money.  I have denied many renters because there were bounced checks or they had no money as a cushion (it was all gone at the end of the month) and none in savings.   These people may be selling their house to an investor because they can't afford the mortgage, that would not show in listings.  I certainly would not rent to them if they don't keep their own house up.   They'll treat yours the same way.

@Clayton Mercer Most people who charge an application fee supply a list of criteria for prospective tenants so tenants can go through the list and disqualify themselves before paying the application fee and being denied.
Originally posted by @Clayton Mercer :

I showed my property to a couple who gave me a story about they are closing in the sale of their home in the next month. There goal is to to down size and would like to rent for a while.

Something didn’t feel right so I looked up on tax records and drove by their current house. House is in disrepair and no for sale sign or listing history.

I would absolutely deny there application. I don’t want them to be out the $80 application fee (I use Cozy). Since I have made my decision, should I reach out and ask them not to apply?

Don't sweat this man. If they apply and you want to deny them, deny them and move on. Their problems are not your problems.

@Marian Smith

Currently I was set up on this order, I think I need to re-evaluate:

1. List minimum requirements (3x rent, good credit, no evictions)

2. Show property and interview against requirements. Also discuss income, work history, previous renting, credit issues.

3. Application/credit check (Using Cozy @ $40 each)

The problem is I am getting to this point and seeing credit scores and they are to my opinion wildly unqualified. 500 credit score, late payments in the last year, etc.