Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Charlie Moore
  • Rental Property Investor
  • D.C
Votes |
When remodeling, can I put “ trash “ on the sidewalk....?

Charlie Moore
  • D.C
Posted Jul 1 2019, 09:06

- 3-4 desks and random items from an eviction cleanup... are sitting off to the side of house/yard ( I own the lot next to my rental house )

- Today I stepped out of my vehicle to get to work on updating the home again... and the moment I step out, the 68 year old neighbor, from 3 houses down, Yells me down to converse with her. She tells me about how they are having a meeting about the trash and ETC. I feel so isolated as I’m the SOLE white owner of a property on this street and it’s such FEW times that I KNOW, no one else would be getting “ B!tched “ at for it

- I am legally allowed to set things out in front of my house? Correct? Especially if someone may have use for it, like a desk... chairs. Wood. Metal.

- where do YOU place your things (trash or items) during the remodel process?

- I don’t have enough trash to economically pay for a dump, that’s a key factor in this post. Why pay for a dump when it was a full on tear out. Most things were just household items

User Stats

Votes
Leah Stuever
  • Realtor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jul 1 2019, 09:11

This is going to be a city ordinance issue. You can check with them to see what you are allowed to put in your front yard. Generally trash  is not one of them though. 

Do you want your neighbors leaving trash all over in front of the house and making your neighborhood look bad?  Be courteous to others. Call someone to come pick it up and haul it away. 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew B.
  • Rockaway, NJ
Votes |
  • Rockaway, NJ
Replied Jul 1 2019, 09:15

I'm not exactly sure what's happening from your description. Are you leaving stuff by the curb to be collected for trash day? If so, review local ordinances. Most state that garbage can only be placed by the curb during certain hours.

Are you leaving trash all over your lawn for a few weeks while you remodel? That's probably a code violation, and in general a crappy thing to do. Your neighbors want to live in a nice, clean neighborhood. Don't be the landlord who doesn't care about the neighborhood. That's who gives landlords bad names.

Is it sitting next to your house cause you are trying to decide what to do with it? Again, that's a question for code enforcement, but if its a short period of time and doesn't look unsightly, you should be ok to store it there. Just make sure you are considerate of your neighbors and that it is not extremely un-kept.

If you are just leaving junk by the end of the driveway in the hopes that someone will take it for free, that's most likely an eyesore and should be cleaned up.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Lauren Kormylo
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Jul 1 2019, 09:32

If you really want someone to take the junk, you can’t have it off to the side of the house. Put it by the curb, with a sign on it saying FREE.  No one knows if they can take it when it’s on the side of your house.  In our area, we have metal scrap and second hand furniture dealers who cruise around looking for stuff that way.   

If it’s not gone by the next day, you have to haul it to the dump, or put it in your backyard where it can’t be seen.   I would ask the neighbors if they know anyone who can use the stuff.  

User Stats

Votes
Mike McCarthy
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jul 1 2019, 10:59

1-800-got-junk or one of their many competitors would happily pick it all up for you. If it’s out for more than a day or two, I’d understand why the neighbors aren’t happy.

User Stats

Votes
David Stumpf
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Jul 2 2019, 09:13

You can't just leave trash outside and hope it just disappears.  I wouldn't want that in my neighborhood, in the neighborhood my rentals are in, or just driving down the street.  Try looking on craigslist for someone that can remove it for you.

User Stats

Votes
Charlie Moore
  • D.C
Votes |
  • D.C
Replied Jul 2 2019, 12:50

@Andrew Boettcher

Well by your answer

I’ve done all 3 of those things haha. Sadly. I’m just remodeling tho, it’s Carpeting and such waiting to get removed in a few weeks when I’m done

User Stats

Votes
Charlie Moore
  • D.C
Votes |
  • D.C
Replied Jul 2 2019, 12:51

@Mike McCarthy

Our for about 35 days now.

Just waiting until I finish the remodel.

Is this a shorty thing to do tho? Or a ECONOMICALLY Smart thing to do

User Stats

Votes
Donald Robers
  • Kenosha, WI
Votes |
  • Kenosha, WI
Replied Jul 3 2019, 06:17

An economically smart thing to do is to get your neighbors on your side, or at least do not actively antagonize them.

User Stats

Votes
Jim K.#3 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jul 5 2019, 06:09

I don't think the neighbors dislike you just because you're white. I mean, I'm white, I've known you for about 30-some days, and yet I feel no sense of deep racial solidarity and kinship with you over your trash.

User Stats

Votes
Grant Delmonte
  • Washington
Votes |
  • Washington
Replied Jul 5 2019, 16:37

This will be a city regulation issue. You can check with them to see if you can put them in the front yard. In general, garbage is not allowed.

Do you want your neighbor to leave rubbish in front of the house and make your neighbor look bad? If not, this is definitely not a good idea.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Jul 5 2019, 16:53

Landlord did an eviction in my area , there was a couch and some other things set out at the curb . They sat there for a day or 2 and someone asked the guys painting the house if they could have it . They said they didnt care its from an eviction . So they took all of it . A week later they called the landlord saying they want him to pay to have their house fumigated because the furniture had Bed Bugs . 

The landlord basically laughed at them .

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Devitt
  • Contractor
  • Oxford, MA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Oxford, MA
Replied Jul 5 2019, 17:23

@Charlie Moore " in a few weeks"?? If your budget is so tight that a couple hundred dollars puts you in the red, you screwed up. Stop making the neighborhood look like trash and haul your crap out of there. Go on Facebook and find a town page, find someone local to pick it up. It's cheaper than you think and you won't have neighbors that see someone trashing your building and saying "good, he deserves it"

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Charles Goetz
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Lewisville , TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Lewisville , TX
Replied Jul 5 2019, 18:47

Can you do it and should you do it are different conversations.  As most have said, the city will say whether you can or not, but personally, I never like trash sitting outside at my jobs. Nothing screams "Hey, empty house with new stuff" like having old carpet, appliances and paint cans sitting in the driveway.

I've found it helps to be friendly, even try to meet the neighbors rather than have an adversarial relationship right off the bat.

If they don't like you, I doubt it's because you're white. It's probably because you're the guy with all the crap piled up in the yard.

User Stats

Votes
Charlie Moore
  • D.C
Votes |
  • D.C
Replied Jul 6 2019, 10:02

@Charles Goetz

Where do ya put your stuff then during remodel

User Stats

Votes
Kyle J.
  • Northern, CA
Votes |
  • Northern, CA
Replied Jul 6 2019, 10:11
Originally posted by @Matthew Paul:

Landlord did an eviction in my area , there was a couch and some other things set out at the curb . They sat there for a day or 2 and someone asked the guys painting the house if they could have it . They said they didnt care its from an eviction . So they took all of it . A week later they called the landlord saying they want him to pay to have their house fumigated because the furniture had Bed Bugs . 

The landlord basically laughed at them .

That's pretty funny.  Coincidentally, I have a bed bug addendum that I have my tenants sign and it says, among other things, that: "Residents have an important role in preventing and controlling bed bugs. Residents agree to never bringing secondhand, or discarded items from the curbside, into the premises without thoroughly inspecting them first for the presence of bed bugs.

You never know where used furniture has been.

User Stats

Votes
Amy Beth
  • Edison, NJ
Votes |
  • Edison, NJ
Replied Jul 6 2019, 12:56

@Charlie Moore. It depends on the rules of your town/city. I would look it up online. Where I live you can either put out items that you mention on bulk trash day which is only once a year or you can call the township and they will schedule a day when you can have it picked up but they charge you a fee for that. Or you can load it up in your vehicle and take it to county dump for free with a local address on the drivers license. When we were remodeling we made a few trips to the dump ourselves. We would be ticketed if we just left it outside.

User Stats

Votes
Sean Lambert
  • Investor
  • Pacific City, OR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pacific City, OR
Replied Jul 6 2019, 13:05

@Charlie Moore take the trash to the dump. Part of a rehab process is making the outside presentable during the rehab.

User Stats

Votes
John Teachout
  • Concord, GA
Votes |
  • Concord, GA
Replied Jul 22 2019, 18:14
One of the first things we do when rehabbing a property is to clean up the outside. Usually there's always a few tires lying around, some old TV and a few other pieces of junk on the property lines. The outside cleanup shows things are happening and you're improving the property. We have a trailer we use to put trash in until it's full and then we take it to the dump. They charge by the pound but it's not all that expensive. Many remodelers utilize a roll-off dumpster. Those can cost 300 to 400 dollars but will usually hold all the junk a typical refurb produces.
If you have garbage service at the property, you can cut up your debris to put in your can and get rid of some every week. We're currently doing that at a property we're rebuilding. Before we finish, all the trash will be hauled off one can at a time. We also recycle everything we can such as plastic bottles, glass, metal, etc. Wood waste gets hauled home and gets burned in a brush pile. Clean the place up.