How would your Respond to a Negative Google Review

12 Replies

Well, we got our first negative review after declining a person interested in housing. This person acknowledged that he had poor credit. After declining his application, he asked if we could bend the rules and spoke to our broker, who also stated that we could not rent to him.  He he used a few choice words and proceeded to write a negative review on Google.

After reading advice on how to respond to negative reviews, most stated that we should apologize.  Although I started a draft, I keep questioning the apology part.  Your advice would be appreciated.

HIS Google Review: The most/very unprofessional real estate company here!

Draft  response :  

We have a fiduciary duty to honestly represent our customers and must abide by the guidelines set by the state, company, and our clients. It is our legal obligation to make sure all policies and procedures are followed by our clients and tenants. 
We wish you the best in your endeavors.

Response: I'm sorry we had to decline your application. We always try to remain professional, especially when we have to inform a potential tenant that they are nowhere close to meeting our minimum requirements. 

From that everyone who sees it will know exactly what happened and it was a spite review. 

With a response like the one @Greg M. suggested, it’s a lot more clear what happened and it’s still a professional response. So I’d go with his or something like it. 

Originally posted by @Kyle J. :

With a response like the one @Greg M. suggested, it’s a lot more clear what happened and it’s still a professional response. So I’d go with his or something like it. 

how about no response..   IE I wont dignify that comment with a response ???  just asking  

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

how about no response..   IE I wont dignify that comment with a response ???  just asking  

I think a lot of potential customers nowadays check online reviews before deciding whether to do business with a company or buy a product. So it might depend what the current state of their online profile/reviews looks like. 

For example, is this the only bad review with 100 other positive ones? Perhaps they could ignore it if so because most people would probably discount it. On the other hand, if they hardly have any reviews at all (or a more equal mix of good/bad reviews) and then this negative one pops up unanswered, potential customers might not know what to believe or may even be turned away.

Personally, I like to see a company respond to negative reviews because it at least gives the impression they are concerned about their image and might be responsive if I ever have an issue with them. Conversely, I always assume the ones that have numerous negative reviews with no response could care less. 

Anyway, just my two cents. 

Originally posted by @Kyle J. :
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

I think a lot of potential customers nowadays check online reviews before deciding whether to do business with a company or buy a product. So it might depend what the current state of their online profile/reviews looks like. 

For example, is this the only bad review with 100 other positive ones? Perhaps they could ignore it if so because most people would probably discount it. On the other hand, if they hardly have any reviews at all (or a more equal mix of good/bad reviews) and then this negative one pops up unanswered, potential customers might not know what to believe or may even be turned away.

Personally, I like to see a company respond to negative reviews because it at least gives the impression they are concerned about their image and might be responsive if I ever have an issue with them. Conversely, I always assume the ones that have numerous negative reviews with no response could care less. 

Anyway, just my two cents. 

that sounds about right its like when I am looking at hotels in a new area and you have the on line reviews 6 will say it was the great vacation over 1 says it sucked  . then management gets on and says Hey we are sorry we will do better next time..  ?

I just think with the thankless job that PM is with many communities were renters dominate the landscape its pretty hard to get good reviews and I suspect the negative are overwhelming majority.  you know evicting someone at Christmas that type of thing.

I would definitely keep it along the lines of "I'm sorry your didn't meet our minimum requirement for renting the unit" and we wish you the best of luck with your continue search"
If you respond, its best to not engage....don't go into specific, don't set up a debate or argument, don't try to explain what "really happened".....you don't feed the crazy bulls*t. ....at most your acknowledge their opinion and move on.....do not engage

You will always get a pissed off customer's its best to take the high road, respond once and move on.

People will read it and move on to the next.  I really don't take stock in those online reviews.

Trust me the first one I got my heart sank and I thought the world was going to end. It doesn't end you still have to put your pants on one leg at a time like all the other joe blows in this world.

@Krisitna L.

Can you try and remove his review?

You can complain to Google that the customer asked to bend the rules for him even though he did not meet the minimum requirements, after you refused to break the rules he used some bad words and left us a bad review in order to hurt our business.

If that doesn't work, I recommend going through negative reviews of successful companies and use the best response from there.

Good luck

Thank you very much for your professional and honest replies. Everyone at the office loved the responses. There was a concern about publicly sharing, or at least inferring,  that this person has poor credit.  However, with your help, we incorporated your suggestions into our response.