• Rental Property Investor
  • Syracuse, NY
Votes |
Testing Out a Higher Rent

Bryan Cavellier
  • Syracuse, NY
Posted Aug 29 2019, 08:41

Do you think it is worth "testing the waters" on rent (making it little higher) and if no one applies then lower the rent after a couple of weeks on the market.

Ie. Rent is a comfortable $850, but I see value in a unit that lends it to be $900-950.

Should I see if anyone is interested at 950?

Looking for pros and cons, Thanks for the thoughts!

User Stats

Votes
Randall Weatherall
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Aug 29 2019, 08:49

If it's in a decent area where the vacancy doesn't mean that things start walking off, then it's really just a personal question of 'is it worth the wait?'  It sounds like you're just trying to rent above market, which usually lends to you using a leasing agent in your area that may know some tenants that want a few more bells and whistles to be worth more every month.

Instead of $100 over, try $895 and see if that can get you where you want, knowing that if the tenant is solid, you can get to $925 next year and that will help you get the rent you want without pricing the tenant out.

User Stats

Votes
Dante Feria
Pro Member
  • Columbus and Jonesboro GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Columbus and Jonesboro GA
Replied Aug 29 2019, 08:57

If you think your unit stands out with the competition and there is not a lot of available units in your market , you can give it a try. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Cavellier
  • Syracuse, NY
Votes |
  • Syracuse, NY
Replied Aug 31 2019, 07:01

@Randall Weatherall great point! Yes the plan is to be a tad higher because of a few additions that you don't see in my area (SimplySafe security, washer/dryer, modern appliances/fixtures, etc.) The goal is to just get better quality tenants more than making more money on the rent. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike McCarthy
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Aug 31 2019, 07:32

@Bryan Cavellier I don’t see why not. You should know within a week or maybe two if you’re too high. You’ll see some interest, but no applications (meaning they found something that met their needs for cheaper).

I don’t find that apartments keep any kind of stigma about an initial higher price like selling a house might. If you drop the price next week, you’ll get a new batch of applicants who like the new rent.