Votes
Manmath D.
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
Trespasser's damaging chainlink fence.

Manmath D.
  • Spokane, WA
Posted Aug 29 2019, 14:59

So I took over this duplex last year. There was 4 ft tall chain link fence on back of the property. Right behind is an easement where there is lot of foot traffic( mostly from low income apartment down the street and bunch of hobos walking around). I also saw that there was bend on top rail which indicated small section of people jumping over my 4ft fence and crossing my property to get to other side. Doesn’t look like heavy traffic but just few kids and who know. But anyway I decided to raise my fence to 6ft using post extensions hoping it will deter trespassing. I asked my friend who is a roofer and does not have fencing experience to help me put this fence up. Looks like a good job but not very professional. I spent close to $ 2500 ($900 labor) to put up 300ft fence.

I just walked around to see how things are and found that people took out the clips holding chain link to fence and started crawling under damaging my chain link.

Just called fencing company and explained them what’s going on. Upon hearing me the lady said it looks like job was not done well and they will stop by to look at it.

Hoping to take care of trespassing issue on the property and who knows how much fencing company is going to charge me for proper installation. 

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Heimsoth
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
  • Durham, NC
Replied Aug 29 2019, 15:58

@Manmath D. I imagine cameras are probably a better deterrent then the fence

User Stats

Votes
Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 29 2019, 16:04

This is one C/D area type problem that I know well. (not saying you are in a C/D area, just this is that kind of problem) 

You need a better fence/barrier. The cameras MIGHT keep people out of the fence, but the people in these areas are usually just complete idiots that do whatever they want, and will either not look for the cameras or not care. I think the cameras would not be a bad investment, but just a stronger barrier that is more ghetto-proof is the answer. 

User Stats

Votes
Ray Fisher
  • Higginson, AR
Votes |
  • Higginson, AR
Replied Aug 29 2019, 16:08

usually there is a wire interwoven in the bottom of professionally installed fences. it is pulled tight and this keeps the fence from being pulled up

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Votes |

This is the one time having tenants with a big dog would be a good thing.  Ray is right, normally there is a cable running along the bottom to prevent this.

User Stats

Votes
Josh C.
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Aug 29 2019, 18:50

Lights and cameras work great.

The wire would help as mentioned above but then they probably just climb it.

Good luck

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Aug 30 2019, 07:47

@Manmath D. have them install the bottom support that is woven through the fence. Place signs every ten feet on the fence that say "video surveillance". You can get metal signs like that on Amazon. You can also install cameras on the property, but the signs are more important as a deterrent. If the fence is damaged, just keep repairing it. Eventually whomever is coming through will just get sick of having to deal with the fence and they will find another route. I am sure they are just using their hands to bend it, so had it been properly installed they would not have been able to do that.

Another option is place an opening in the fence so they don't need to break the fence to come through. I know you are trying to keep people out, but this will control where they enter the property and may be a better option. 

Of course installing a solid fence would fix this too, but that will cost some money.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Aug 30 2019, 08:06

Hi  Manmath,

After fixing the bottom, you might still have a problem.

In some areas 6 foot is not much of a deterrent. 

They can go up and over it in an instant.

I noticed you installed the crossbar above the fence (this will encourage that behavior).

Also fences come in 2 varieties, rounded tops and sharp tops.

This is a more C/D area type of fence top.

Also,

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Tony Gunter
  • Investor
  • Canton, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Canton, GA
Replied Aug 30 2019, 14:56

@Manmath D.

Physically Secure the bottom of the fence using rebar driven in the ground. Then run a couple lines of electric cattle wire across the outside bottom using insulators made for chain link fence, signage, and an energizer. Be sure to set up cameras to catch the fun.