Property Management in Rural Michigan

3 Replies

Is it possible to start a PM company in Michigan without being a broker myself if my business partner is a broker?

I’ve recently read the regulations on starting a PM company and the Michigan rule is very clear. But what if I am not qualified since I don’t have my broker license but my business partner does?

I live out of state and am interested in researching the idea further but don’t want to waste too much of my time if it isn’t legal/feasible from the start. Thanks!

In Ohio the only exception I know of to performing PM activities as a non-broker is if you are a regular employee of the owner. I started trying to answer and realized the question is a bit more complicated than it looked. My guess would be that you would need to obtain your RE license at a minimum to specifically perform any brokering activities under his license regardless of your ownership in the business(showing properties and screening tenants ). If you could without getting a license, any part-owner of a brokerage could theoretically act as an agent without a license. Seems unlikely. 

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor

@Marshall Leipprandt if a company is going to manager for others here in MI it must be done under a brokers license. If you’re going to be a big part of it I’d suggest getting at least a real estate salesperson license and then work under that company.